The digital divide encompasses both a national and regional concern. It addresses issues regarding third world countries, skilled workers, and the overall divide in the world.
One argument presented in “Internet Freedom: Controversy” is that everyone should have the skills it takes to compete in the economy. This is one side of the debate in the UK, in which Tony Blair has supported this claim. Minorities should be allowed a voice and should be given the opportunity to participate.
In the US, Al Gore has addressed the issue of language, race, and civil rights in connection to the digital divide. However, according to the Pew Internet and American Life Project, it states that race divide is getting smaller.
However, when talking to some people, such as the CEO of Netnoir.com, David Ellington, he believes the digtal divide is not an issue anymore.
There is debate over what are the exact factors of the digital divide. It varies such as race, gender, education, socioeconomic, and age to name a few.
I used Yahoo.com. It is a search engine compared to a metasearch engine or subject directory.
I searched terms such as “digital divide controversy,” “digital divide debate," both with and without quotes.
First Site: One of the first sites I found was “Internet Freedom: Controversy.” http://www.netfreedom.org/controversy/latest/amis.asp
- Since the site included the authors names and the companies they are associated with, I believe that this site is accurate. However, not knowing when it was written worries me that it could be old viewpoints reflected in the writings.
- Internet Freedom is responsible for this site. It is located in the UL and is a online free speech blog.
- It does not specifically state how the site is funded, but it is a $35 fee to become a member. Therefore, I assume they receive funding from their members.
- There is no date given for the articles.
- What I liked about this article is that they present arguments that are presented in different countries. Also, there are viewpoints given by individuals such as CEOs of companies.
- Since the site does not include a date, old viewpoints may be reflected in this article. Therefore, the site may be lacking updated opinions.
Second Site: "Digital Divide"
- New World Encyclopedia is responsible for this site. They work to provide information to the public, similar to wikipedia.
- The site is funded by UPF/IIFWP and is under contract with Paragon House Publishers.
- This specific site was last updated on February 25, 2009.
- This site ties the issue of the digital divide to unequal physical access, resources, and skills. The site acknowledges that there are a wide variety of causes, therefore increasing the number of debates associated with the digital divide.
- I think this site does a good job at addressing the basic issue but does not go in depth about them like the other site.
Hey Alyssa!
ReplyDeleteYour first website was one that I came across as well. I thought it was informative, especially because of some of the statistics given, but I found that the information dated back to 1999. However, even though it was far back, it is good to know what the arguments were back then. It allows for comparison.
Your second website was also very informative. It has similar points like in Wikipedia's "Digital Divide" page and even has a similar format to Wikipedia. I like the map given as well as the references section at the bottom.
It's reassuring that the race divide is shrinking. However, given the factors we've found, the digital divide looks like it will exist in the US for quite a while, yeah?. I wonder how Obama's broadband plan will effect this, and how much money it'll actually end up costing.
ReplyDelete